For reasons I can’t fully explain, I’ve become a fan of alternate histories. I’ve read several about the events surrounding World War 2, but the first I’d read about the American Civil War was Ward Moore’s “Bring the Jubilee.“
Its subtitle gives its premise away: “What if the South had won the Civil War?” Written in 1953, it’s probably quite innovative in terms of its concept, but it didn’t really pick up much steam until the last tenth of the book.
I’d still recommend it, though. I’m a sucker for those “What If…?” books, but anyone curious about history could enjoy it.
Latest posts by Sitzman (see all)
- Sitzbook Review: ‘The Year of Living Danishly’ by Helen Russell - September 17, 2018
- A Combo Platter of “Don’t Leave Me This Way” - September 16, 2018
- Sitzbook Review: 3 Books by Comedians - September 13, 2018
- Sitzbook 200-Word Review: ‘The Rest of Us Just Live Here’ by Patrick Ness - September 7, 2018
- Sitzbook 200-Word Review: ‘Underground Airlines’ by Ben H. Winters - September 5, 2018